This all started many years ago when I moved into a new classroom and found a box of unused tiles. Some were mosaic some were just 4×4 bathroom tile. I had no idea what to do with them so they sat for a long while. I thought maybe a mosaic or stepping stones for the playground, but they just sat collecting dust. Then one day I had some left over plywood from some other project and my idea started to take form.
First I glued the tiles to the boards in interesting patterns. I used E6000 glue because the thing will need to hold up with moisture from lots of paint.
We used rollers to apply paint. We used BioColor paints.
Next we laid parchment paper over the tiles. We gently rubbed to insure the paper had collected all the paint.
The great reveal! Not the greatest pic but you get the idea.
I cut the frames out of black poster board. I just cut them to fit and mounted them with tacky glue. Not many sunny days here (WNY) in the winter but I’m sure they’ll look great with the sun shining through. They turned out better than I expected!
Life Size Gingerbread House Before And After
A very generous parent donated this cute playhouse to our class.
The playhouse stayed in the closet for a few days while we decided where and when to set it up. On the big day it hit me to assemble it inside out!
This is the story, all about how my life got flipped, turned inside out!
It was a little tricky at first. The instructions were clear enough but turning the folds in the opposite directions didn’t always make sense. I persisted and had it assembled in under an hour.
The Big Reveal The big reveal! The children had a great time decorating this cute house. Hopefully it will hold up and we can use it again in the spring. The outer (now inside) is printed with butterflies and flowers. I saved the box so we can stash it for the long winter.
Want a life size gingerbread house for your kids this Christmas?
This is a story all about how my life got flipped…turned inside out. lol
One of my preschooler’s generous parents gave us a playhouse like this.
So it stayed in the closet for few days while we decided where and how to set it up. On the big day it hit me to assemble it inside out! I put the thing together with the cute printed part on the inside so the out side is brown, like a real gingerbread house. It was a little tricky at first but remembering that all the folds go the opposite way got easier as I went along.
My previous post was all about our flat gingerbread house display. Those pics were actually last year’s project. This house arrived just in time that we hadn’t begun assembling that yet.
The decoration phase has begun. Gum drops and peppermint candies are ready. Next week we’ll also make marble paint candy canes, and spin art lollipops for our Gingerbread House.
In the mean time, while small groups are working on their decorations others will be inside the gingerbread house with crayons coloring in the preprinted pictures.
Not entirely confident but I’m hoping the house will hold up and be reusable next year.
Next post will be after pics! Stay tuned.